Information for all students:
The Northern Academy of Performing Arts is a registered children’s charity based in Hull (Charity Number 1076867). This non-profit making organisation is run by a charitable trust with the following objectives:
“To foster, encourage and provide opportunities for young people to participate, increase their confidence and enjoy being involved in creative performing arts activities.”
Since NAPA opened there has been a steady increase in student numbers and classes. We have approximately 650 pupils enrolled on a wide variety of courses including ballet, tap, modern, musical theatre, drama, and vocal coaching.
In addition to this NAPA has an amazing Outreach programme working with approximately two thousand two hundred Primary School children across our City.
Accreditation of students’ work is an important aspect of NAPA’s lessons, with the emphasis on ensuring that they feel suitably rewarded for their learning. Progression is built into the syllabus and students are given achievable goals that lead on to further learning and achievement.
Alongside exam work, we endeavour to provide students with performance opportunities. It is important to us that pupils gain a full understanding in all aspects of their chosen field.
Finally, whether your child attends NAPA with aspirations to become a professional within the industry, as an extra-curricular activity, or just as a fun hobby, we aim to facilitate all of their needs to the highest standards in a safe, happy environment, above all providing an enjoyable experience throughout their time with us.
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
As a student at NAPA we aim to give you all the support and guidance you need to achieve success and enjoyment. The Code of Conduct is a guide to show you what we expect from students at the Academy so that we can help you to develop and have fun in a supportive and non-threatening environment.
- Behave and speak in a way that does not offend others e.g. using foul/abusive language, sexist/racist behaviour or anti-social behaviour. This applies to all areas of the Academy.
- Endeavour to try their best at all times and attend classes with a positive attitude.
- Dress in a way that does not offend others. Hooded tops must not be worn with the hood up.
- Treat everyone with respect. Any form of bullying will be treated seriously and may lead to exclusion from the Academy.
- Be on time and attend all lessons (unless absence is explained or agreed).
- Treat all Academy property with respect.
- Not use a mobile phone or internet capable device in class – they must be switched off.
- Not take any food, drink or snacks into classrooms. (Bottled drinks are allowed)
- Not distract/disrupt the education of others.
- Dispose of litter responsibly by using bins located around the Academy.
- Always behave in a professional manner and be a good example to younger students.
- Always arrive to lessons suitably prepared to work.
- Always leave the studios in the condition you would wish to find them.
- Not wear tap shoes outside of studios for health and safety reasons.
- Not enter the staff room, private offices, or use NAPA computer stations, photocopier or telephones.
Any gross misconduct or deviation from these rules may result in exclusion from the academy.
We are proud at NAPA to be able to offer our students the fantastic facility of our studio theatre. It gives them great performance opportunities and the options to come and watch live theatre. In order to ensure the smooth running of the box office we would like you to note the following rules.
- All bookings must be paid for in advance – no reservation will be made without payment.
- Payments can be made by cash credit/debit card at the NAPA reception or via the box office booking line (01482 310690). You can also book online via the NAPA website (this will incur a small booking fee).
- No refunds given on ticket purchases. Exchanges may be given at FOH manager’s discretion.
- Any tickets not collected at the start of the performance may be resold – unless prior arrangement is made with the front of house manager.
- Concessionary rates only offered to NAPA Students
- Children age 4 and above require a ticket and their own seat. Under 4 they may sit on the parent’s knee
- The use of cameras and recording equipment is strictly prohibited.
- Late arrivals permitted only at the FOH manager’s discretion.
- Drinks taken into the auditorium must be in plastic glasses/bottles.
- No food permitted in the auditorium.
- If your child is in a production, please make sure they arrive and are collected at the times given.
Our fully licensed bar offers a range of refreshments and snacks as well as hot and cold food. Ideal for students arriving straight from school and parents waiting for children in lessons.
Monday 4.00pm – 8.00pm
Tuesday 4.00pm – 8.00pm
Wednesday 4.00pm – 8.00pm
Thursday 4.00pm – 8.00pm
Saturday 9.15am – 2.00pm
On performance nights the bar is also available one hour before the show start time and during the interval. Please note – your own food and drink may not be consumed in the bar area.
The NAPA wardrobe department offers a hire facility for fancy dress, festivals, school plays and any other costume requirements.
For more details see the wardrobe staff or ask at reception. Any costume donations to the wardrobe are welcomed.
For every public performance we stage, NAPA needs chaperones to supervise backstage. This is done by staff and parent volunteers. For this you need a licence issued by the Hull City Council. If you are interested in helping NAPA and becoming one of our registered chaperones for shows, please speak to a member of staff.
As a charity, NAPA relies on the support of volunteers across all areas. If you feel you have the time and any skills that you could offer NAPA that would benefit the organisation and its students, we would welcome your assistance. Whether it be volunteering as a chaperone for shows, helping in wardrobe, leaflet dropping, handy with a screwdriver or paint brush please speak to us.
We can’t express how much we appreciate and value your help.
PERSONAL POSSESSIONS & LOST PROPERTY
NAPA cannot accept any responsibility for items being lost or stolen whilst you are in our building. Please think twice; do you really need to bring valuable items with you?
A tray will be provided in each studio for you to place your phones/purses/ or anything of value in. But it is every student’s responsibility to take care of their own possessions.
Any items found within the building will be kept in lost property which is located at the main reception. Ask a member of staff and they will be happy to help you have a look. Items such as jeweller/phones will be kept in the CEO’s office.
COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS AND COMPLIMENTS
NAPA is always pleased to receive feedback. If you are not satisfied with any of the services we provide please make your concerns known to us.
Contact Carl Wheatley CEO, NAPA, 50 Anlaby Road, Hull, HU1 2PD, Tel 01482 310690
NAPA PAYMENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS – 2019 / 20
By signing the enrolment form you are accepting NAPA’s payment terms and conditions.
Changes you need to know about for this this academic year:
- We are pleased to inform you that there will be no price increases again this year. NAPA is a not for profit charity who’s aim is to be affordable for all.
- Unfortunately to enable us to maintain our low fees we will not be continuing to offer a 5% discount for students who pay a half term in advance.
- Due to high demand in your feedback we are reintroducing the monthly Standing Order method of payment.
- Alternatively, you can still pay your fees weekly/half termly by cash or card at the school reception or by card via the telephone.
- We are no longer requesting Adult Class fees to be paid half termly in advance, adults can now pay weekly, but will need to pay an enrolment fee like all other students.
Terms and Conditions
- Once enrolled into a class all fees must be paid for regardless of attendance.
- Should a student decide to leave mid-term fees will be payable to the end of that half term.
- If at any point you choose to leave or change a class, you must inform Annie or Barbara (not just the teacher) this will ensure you are taken off the register and do not accrue any further costs.
- Class fees must be paid in advance, not in arrears, failure to pay means the student could lose their place in the class
- Prior to each new term beginning any outstanding arrears must be cleared.
- NAPA does NOT accept American Express cards or Cheques
If you ever need more information or help regarding paying NAPA class fees, do not hesitate to contact us: NAPA Business Manager: Barbara Dawson, Tel: 01482 310690 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org